First things first, register for an account with Mechanical Turk!
Okay, now that we've got that out of the way... I have a few links to share about how to get started turking, what to look for, etc.
- What is Mechanical Turk? Getting started, etc
- another "getting started" tip page
- your first 1000 HITs
- explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old
- moving up & other more in-depth tips
A batch is when multiple (sometimes thousands) of HITs are posted by a requester. I didn't really get into batches until recently, but they're a fast way to make money. Batches are usually paid a lot lower than surveys, but you can go through them MUCH faster. A HIT might only be worth .03 cents, but if you do 100 of them that pays out to $3.00 in the same amount of time it takes to do a $1.00 survey. Batches are also great for getting your numbers up. Once you make it to 100, 500, and especially 1000 HITs approved more and more higher-paying surveys and batches will open up to you. Once I hit 1000, I started making a LOT more money.
Places to go to look for HITS:
these sites are run by fellow turkers who post various HITs throughout the day to help other turkers out. I used reddit a lot when I was just starting out, but lately I've been using MTG a lot. MTG has a really great community that's dedicated to helping each other out, and it's a good place to get tips and blow off steam while you're turking. And people steadily post good paying HITs in the daily threads here, it's more active than reddit.
Scripts are things that make your life as a turker much easier. I didn't start using these til recently, but I wish I had used them when I had first started out!
First things first, you need either tapermonkey for Chrome or greasemonkey for Firefox.
Once you have that installed, you can go head and get started on downloading some useful scripts! Most of these have how-to guides in the description. If you're confused, let me know and I'll do my best to help you!
- Enhanced HIT info capsule gives you more information for previewing your HITs, including the approval time
- today's projected earnings calculates how much you've made so far in a day. This shows up on your dashboard.
- Turkopticon gives you information about requesters and ratings that other turkers have given to them. This helps you determine if a HIT is worth working on.
- Hit scraper helps you snag HITs. It's a neat color-coded way to search for HITs.
- Turk master monitors pages for you and helps you to auto-accept HITs you've missed.
- more more more!
you're ready to get out there, get turking, and make some extra $$! Don't forget to use Mturkgrind & reddit for other useful information guides, tips, tricks, and HITs. What's one of the most important things you can do? TURK TURK TURK! Experience is one of the best ways to learn. Dive in, get your hands dirty, do some HITs! The more you do, the easier it will become. You'll start to know what kind of HITs to look out for, what scripts help you the most, and how to do tasks quicker.
Questions? Feel free to message me wherever you're able to, whether on here, FB, text, etc. I'll do my best to help you!